Diabetes and COVID-19

Expand all | Collapse all

COVID 19 and diabetic supplies

• 1.  COVID 19 and diabetic supplies

Posted 03-26-2020 09:46

I am  writing to our group with some urgent logistical concerns raised by patients with diabetes and providers.

There is an urgent COVID-related action item for patients with diabetes that we need to work on acutely and I thought our PRIDE/PROUD group would be the best one to find the correct access/action point.

Many of us, particularly in harder hit areas, are working remotely and not necessarily with full fax scan capability. Many patients' insulin pump and CGM supplies are being held up as suppliers fax forms to closed offices or want 3 months of readings that providers cannot provide remotely consistently in order to meet Medicare guidelines. It would seem both prudent and logical for these guidelines to be suspended for the next 3 months so that insulin requiring and CGM-using patients can continue to have uninterrupted access to critical therapy, but as of yet that does not seem to be the case.

Boris

------------------------------
    Boris Draznin, MD, PhD
    Celeste and Jack Grynberg Professor of Medicine
    University of Colorado
    boris.draznin@cuanschutz.edu
    303-724-2605

• 2.  RE: COVID 19 and diabetic supplies

Posted 03-26-2020 13:10
    Edited by Brea di Dato 03-26-2020 13:11
    I agree with the recommendation. In the interim, you may want to consider some e-fax and pdf scanning applications while waiting for that requirement to get waived. Spruce has a mobile app you can put on your phone, you can scan and fax directly from your phone with the app. Patients can also upload photos and send to you, all hippa compliant. Here is there url. All the best to you.

https://www.sprucehealth.com/

Brea Di Dato
    Nurse Practitioner & Type 1 diabetic
    MSN APRN FNP-C PMHNP-BC
    Oregon and California

• 3.  RE: COVID 19 and diabetic supplies

Posted 03-27-2020 23:54

I completely agree. Ideally major distributors and pump/cgm companies will create online firms with esign. I think if they hear from enough of us, this could happen relatively quickly. 

Hayley Miller MD,
    CPG Diabetes
    MISSOULA MT