Diabetes and COVID-19

Expand all | Collapse all

ADA looking for your experiences

• 1.  ADA looking for your experiences

Posted 03-29-2020 19:27

ADA is hoping to gather members' experiences on some issues during this crisis. We're looking to potentially make some urgent policy recommendations to FDA and others. Please share your thoughts:

• What percentage of COVID-19 patients who are in your hospital have diabetes?
    • What percentage of the diabetes patients with COVID-19 are in the ICU?
    • How many more blood glucose meters do you need
    • How many more test strips do you need
    • Would you use CGMs for inpatient use if approved?  How many more CGMs do you need?
    Thanks for your help. Matt

------------------------------
    Matt Petersen
    Vice President, Medical Information & Professional Engagement
    American Diabetes Association
    Arlington VA

• 2.  RE: ADA looking for your experiences

Posted 04-03-2020 13:42
    ​After communication with national experts, we have the understating that CGM are NOT appropriate for use in the critically ill/hypotensive/hypoperfused patient because of their lack of demonstrated reliability in that setting. Does ADA know something we don't?

Catherine Rolih MD
    Novant Health
    WINSTON SALEM NC

• 3.  RE: ADA looking for your experiences

Posted 04-05-2020 19:46
    Hello Matt,
    I put together and submitted to the IRB a protocol for use of CGM in the hospital. Inpatient Glucose Telemetry Project.
    I submitted the description of the protocol to the Diabetes Technology and Therapeutics.

are you putting together a registry for diabetes in COVID-19? Would ADA sponsor the registry? I would like to join in

Rasa Kazlauskaite, MD MSc

Associate Professor, Department of Medicine

Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism

Director, Diabetes Technology Program

Rush University Medical Center

P| 312.942.6163 (clinic)     P| 312.563.2241 (office)     C| 773.505.7667

Office| 1750 W. Harrison St. (Jelke) Ste. 604w  Chicago, IL 60612

Clinic| 1725 W. Harrison St. Ste. 250  Chicago, IL 60612

rasa_kazlauskaite@rush.edu | DiabetesTechnology.rush.edu

Rasa Kazlauskaite MD
    CHICAGO IL

• 4.  RE: ADA looking for your experiences

Posted 04-05-2020 20:04
    One more issue,
    My Medicare patients' Tandem pumps are on hold for more than 40 days as CMS cannot agree with Tandem about CPT codes and billing!!! These pumps with Control IQ would be life saviors for these patients. I can specifically mention a veteran with a failing kidney transplant due to difficult to control diabetes (I believe the pump will prolong the graft's life), I ordered the Tandem pump in January 2020 - still waiting for Medicare clearance. Another disabled senior - her husband has multiple sleepless nights due to Malfunctioning old pump that is out of warranty and in a recall by the FDA. I ordered a Tandem pump for this patient at the beginning of February - still waiting for bureaucrats. These specific patients have 3-4 hypoglycemias per day trying to control their type 1 diabetes.  Can FDA intervene?

Rasa Kazlauskaite

Rasa Kazlauskaite MD
    CHICAGO IL